Friday, February 8, 2013

Be real {Writing Prompt}

Really?

I don't know if I can.

I have been thinking about this writing prompt all week and it's now Friday and I've still got nothing!

What does it even mean to be real?  In some ways I think I'm pretty good at being real in that I have a low tolerance for crap and pretence.  On the other hand I'm not sure that I even know how to be real anymore.

Why?

Firstly I wonder - do people really want me to be real?  REALLY real?  I know people are curious about us - but do they really want to know what it's like?  The actual ins and outs, nuts and bolts, bodily functions and medical emergencies that occur on a regular basis.  Are they able to hear about the same problems day in day out, year in year out?  Because my problems aren't going away any time soon.

Secondly, sometimes I am sick of this reality myself!  There IS no short term solution. Talking about it isn't going to miraculously fix everything - sometimes I just want a break from real life.

And thirdly - seriously - what self respecting Aussie wants to be known as an over-sharer???

Fortunately I do have a few friends who I can be 'really' real with, who will listen without judging but also tell me the truth when I need to hear it.  I have all bases covered in this area - my Christian friends who encourage me to persevere when the going is tough, one particular non-Christian friend who I can have conversations consisting entirely of swear words with, and other parents of children with disabilities who it is easy to be real with because we live in the same world.

For those of you who ask me how I am and then marvel when I say 'good thanks' - most likely I'm lying through my teeth to you, but if I'm not real with you it is because in that moment I can't be - either because 'you can't handle the truth' or I can't!


{Ellen Stumbo - Writing Prompt}

6 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Wonderfully written. Your words are brilliant x hope your weekend is settled with lots of ipad and dress up time x

Eiluv2Write said...

Brilliant blog! We all take the prompt and do our best to make it our own and you did.

The Trousdell Five said...

Brilliant! I struggled with this one too, for so many of the same reasons as you. The difference is, you DID manage to write the post I wanted to. So thank you!

Ellen Stumbo said...

We all need someone that we can be ourselves with. I am glad you have those people in your lives and you did an great job at describing the struggle of being real.

Heda said...

Real or unreal, those kids and hubby of yours are lucky to have you. I can't put myself in your shoes because that hasn't been my path in life. I imagine it is not at all easy but from an outsiders view the result is three great kids so I'm hoping you are patting yourself on the back because of the great job you are doing. Way better than the average bear!

Missy said...

I am more than happy for you to be "real" with me x x