Wednesday, February 27, 2013

(Not) Wordless Wednesday: Ashlea's Message



This time last year we were preparing for Ashlea's kidney transplant.

After 5 years of living with kidney failure and anticipating her transplant it is hard to believe that we are now nearly 12 months post transplant.  Ashlea is thriving since receiving the gift of life from her Dad.  Her kidney function is fantastic, she has so much energy and enthusiasm for life, she is cheeky and bossy and delightfully loving life.

Let me be even more clear about the benefits of transplant for Ashlea.

She is alive.

She is not on dialysis.

She is well.

I wish our story was just a 'good news story' and that there wasn't a flip side.  Sadly though there is a flip side and that is that as a result of giving Ashlea a kidney Murray now has an acquired brain injury.  I don't even want to say it out loud during donate life week as I would hate to turn anyone off the idea of becoming an organ donor - but seriously - if there were more people willing to be deceased organ donors then there would be less need for parents like us to risk our lives by being living organ donors.

Even if Murray had not suffered any complications we would still implore you all to consider becoming an organ donor - but in the light of what happened to him it is even more important.

Please consider becoming an organ donor.

Make your wish count by letting your family know your decision.  You could give someone the gift of life.

16 comments:

ann said...

Such an important topic. You have told it in a fantastic way too. You have reminded me to sign up to donate.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

A very beautiful post with an important message.
I hope Murray is recovering as much as he can.
Thanks for linking up.

Jane B said...

Such a wonderful message you are spreading.
Love the video, what a gorgeous little girl you have.

Jenn said...

such a great video will such an important message...you and your family are an inspiration. When ever I have some me time I try to sit down and catch up on your blog...I wish I had more me time, because I am so behind. I remember reading when Ashley was getting her transplant and when Murray was still in the hospital. My heart goes out to you all the time, you are one tough mamma and I give you the most kudos I can possibly give some one. Now to catch up on Murray...xoxo to you all from Nova Scotia, Canada

Cathy said...

Great message - thengiftbof life is truly a great one. Hope your husband will be okay - a parent's love is boundless.

Emily @ Have a laugh on me said...

Such a great post, I've written an article about it for the local paper I write for - it's such a good cause. It's important everyone makes their wishes known to loved ones and signs the register. xxx

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen said...

I really do wish organ donation was a compulsory thing. I know some people don't agree, but I can't help thinking how many lives could be saved if it was. xx

tahlia @ the parenting files said...

A very important message and to see her live life in a whole new way is what it is all about x

Tamara said...

Such an important message. my son will be needing a kidney in the near future. He too is disabled and we are tossing up the realities of a live donor. The pros and cons. I too implore people to be deceased donors. Great post.

Robyn de Beer (Mrs D) said...

Wow I had not really thought about being a donor in too much great detail. Such a great topic and so well put too. I think I will definitely be signing up

Yvette @ Little Bento Blog said...

What a beautiful message!! I have spoken to my husband about becoming a donor.. it is something that I think is important for everyone. xx

Mummy Manifesto said...

Such a mixed blessing for your family. I have interviewed a lady this week on my blog who is waiting for a set of lungs. Both hubby and I have registered to be organ donors

Ronda said...

Great job Ashlea!

Seana Smith said...

What a week of mixed emotions for you. I have always ticked the organ donor box on my driving license and am shocked when people say they don't. It just makes good sense.

God bless.

Kerri said...

Happy re-birthday Ashley! I am sorry about Murray. But thank you for being a voice to this wonderful cause.

Danya Banya said...

I'm a donor. y husband knows and respets my decision. (He's a donor too.) But you've reminded me to tell the rest of my extended family. I'm frustrated that you can tick the box, but have your decision overturned by grieving relatives. I know it's had for them, but if the decision has already been made, surely the can be spared from being asked by surgeon after surgeon at the time. They are grieving - it's difficult to make wise choices in those circumstances...