Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Anzac Day Edition

This Thursday I am thankful for men like my Grandfather who fought to secure our freedom.

Frederick John Kelly
4/1/1897 - 26/12/1998

My Grandfather and his younger brother fought at Gallipoli and on the Western Front in WW1. Their younger brother fought in WW2 and was imprisoned on the Thai-Burma Railway, and my Grandfather's oldest son was killed in PNG in WW2.  I have never marched on their behalf in the Anzac Day March but I have decided I am going to look into it as I really want to be able to march on my Grandfather's behalf in 2015 - the centenary of Gallipoli.

Anzac day is also a significant day of remembering for me as it was the first day we were told Ashlea was 'very sick'.  You know how doctors say that when things are really bad and they have nothing else to say?  I am thankful Ashlea made it through her first Anzac Day.

April 2006 - ventilated with very high potassium and very low blood sugar
- a bad combination apparently...

Today I am also thankful for:

- beautiful sunny Autumn days;

- that Emma was able to overcome her anxiety and have her first ever sleepover;
Helps that it was at the neighbours...not too far to go in case I had to do a
middle of the night pick up!

- a very productive discussion with the architect and OT yesterday about our bathroom home modifications. Please pray that our plans will get approved by the panel as our modifications are going to be very costly meaning they will require extra extra approval before we can begin;

- an uneventful (although still expensive) dentist visit for all 3 children;
Tom had to come too - at least the dentist
didn't charge for his checkup...



- progress - even when measured in baby steps;
First Ever Birthday Cake without Tears
We promised not to sing THAT SONG
Clearly she didn't trust us 100% and
covered her ears just in case!


- a booking at the bike clinic to see about getting Ashlea an accessible bike;
Ashlea decided she wanted to try scootering...
might be time to look into something a bit safer...

- the thermostat on the spa - it is toasty and warm in there now that the weather is cooling down.

Although apparently I made it too warm today...


Thankful Thursday: What are you thankful for today?

1 comment:

melissa date said...

How long will it be before our families can enjoy singing 'that song' with gusto?? I am thankful for everything today :)