Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The little things

I think a lot of people look at me and think 'WOW - I don't know how she does it' when they look at the big picture of me having a child AND a husband with a disability to care for.  I don't tend to focus on the big picture - lest I completely lose my mind - I just get on with life.  The thing is that often it's not the big picture that does my head in... sometimes it's the little things.

Sometimes it's the little things that can make or break my day.  This post is going to be the opposite of Thankful Thursday - maybe I will call it Tell It Like It Is Tuesday :)

Little me tell it like it is this fine Tuesday...

I canNOT wash any more feeding pump bags.  I am done.  Somehow, somewhere I will have to get an entire year's supply because I refuse to wash another one EVER.

I HATE it when we have a feeding pump fail that results in a bed full of milk and stomach acid to clean up in the morning (especially when 'morning' is 4am because Ashlea has woken up all wet and sticky)

I am so over having to keep track of prescriptions.  It's not even having to go to the pharmacy to fill the prescriptions that irks me the most - it is making sure we have the right prescriptions at the right time.

The same applies to doctor's referrals (anyone want to guess how I've spent the last two days...?).

Aaahhhh - it feels so good to get that off my chest.  I'm sure you all have more you can think of. Feel free to share - Tell It Like It Is!

On the flipside sometimes it is the little things that make my day - like Ashlea's Chicken Whisperer Serenade from Sunday (some of you will have already seen this on facebook - it's too cute not to post here too).



(Seeing as videos don't seem to get sent through on the email version here is the youtube link).


6 comments:

ferfischer said...

I LOVE this video! I also would send you a ton of feeding pump bags, except I have an Infinity pump. If you get one of those, I can send the bags, though! It's not even that bad to send them from here. I do hope you get your pump and everything, though. My "tell it like it is" - it's the last week before school starts and I'm just hoping to escape the week without one of the kids threatening the other with scissors. Ooops, too late for that!

Felicity said...

Oh that video is the cutest thing ever!!! Ashlea can sing me to sleep anytime! Actually can she do it now? I'm having difficulty sleeping...
Tell it like it is Tuesday - I find it SO frustrating when I'm tired all day and sometimes battling to keep my eyes open through kids dinner, bath, stories, etc but get into bed myself and -BOING- my eyes are wide open and sleep escapes me... Especially when I have to function tomorrow...

Felicity said...

P.S You have every right to complain about feeding pump PEG tube issues - that's far worse than a wet wee bed! More smelly and far more sticky!! Poor you and Miss Ashlea! Xx

Sylvia said...

Well, I don't have feeding bag issues, but I do know exactly what you mean about the prescriptions and referrals! Cute chicken serenade!

Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly do not know how you do it but I am so glad you do!
If that chicken did not go to sleep, could it be because it wanted to keep listening to that beautiful singing and bask in the loving care it was getting?
Has Miss Audrey released any You Tube Singing Videos yet? From Fay.
P.S Tell it like it is: (This heading will do to take the edge off the topic, but it is what has been in my thoughts.) Recently, during a bout of flu, I took to reading lots about germs carried by bats (both fruit and non-fruit bats). During this time I was reminded of the bats you had fly over one year and poo on your ground. (My then 5 year old boy was particularly interested in that entry. He would scroll past all your adorable photos and try and zoom in on the poo.) Well I hope they never come Ashlea's way again (especially with her reduced immunity.) If they do fly your way, I hope I will be able to help with some 'heavy duty cleaning' facilitation in some way. So far though they don't seem to be around.

Tatum said...

I remember a day when my son was still in the NICU. It was a tough day where things were spirally out of control. I stayed strong all day and then as I was driving home from the hospital, a bike rider was on my right, so I couldn't turn right until she went straight. The car behind me started honking his horn at me. I stayed where I was but flipped him off...he honked some more. When the biker went, I turned my car and pulled over and got out and started screaming at this car. F-bombs flying galore. "Do you want me to hit the biker?" and on and on. The man slowed down and apologized for honking (did I mention the hospital is in a crap neighborhood). I got back in my car and cried the whole way home. It is always the little things! Thanks for the great post (I found you from Love My Max)