Monday, September 16, 2013

Get Back Up {Writing Prompt}

Sometimes I wonder if Ellen is psychic with the writing prompts she puts out.

Get back up is what I feel like I've been telling myself for months now.

Get back up and get into your life.

Get out of this rut.

I haven't been blogging much (you may have noticed).  I have only taken around 10 photos in 6 months when usually I would take 100s.  I just don't feel like doing any of the things I normally enjoy.  It all seems like too much effort.

And don't even get me started on important jobs like parenting my children.  Emma is an out of control minecraft addict at the moment.  Do I have the will to discipline her and rein her in? Nope.

No willpower.  No energy.  No motivation.  It all seems like too much effort.

Last week I read this article on burnout.  Whoops.  It appears I have all the symptoms.  Everyone who recommended the article thought it was great because it gives practical ideas of what you can do if you are approaching burn out.

But it's just not that simple is it I want to shout at them.

Slow down the article says.  Yes but if I slow down all that happens is that my to do list grows longer.  My life isn't going to slow down just because an article told it to.

Get support the article says.  Again easier said than done when support involves getting people to take on your caring role, when it involves respite carers, when it involves patients who don't want to go to respite and when it involves a carer who can't even think of what sort of respite would be helpful.

Reevaluate your goals and priorities the article says.  I suppose it is a sign of burnout when your only goal is to 'just keep swimming'...

So, I have kind of realised I think I am suffering from burn out.  I just can't work out how to get back up from it.

I want to get back up.

I just think I'm going to need a little help.



{Ellen Stumbo Writing Prompt}

6 comments:

The Trousdell Five said...

I wish I could physically give you some help but what I can do is send you lots of strength and prayers to get back up when you're ready and able. In the mean time, be kind to yourself, you deserve it. xo

Missy said...

So wish I could help with your burn out

((((Hugs))))

agent117 said...

Oh hon. I know we don't know each other well but I am more than happy to help in anyway I can! We could have play dates so the girls get to know me and the kids and when they are use to me I'd happily watch them, learn to be a carer so you can rest, spoil yourself, or go have some ME time. I'm also happy to do dishes, clean, run errands etc etc. pM me if there is anything I can do.... I know it's not easy asking for help or training someone to be a carer but I'm here if needed. I also have great shoulders which a perfect to cry on.
Angela Bensemann

Ellen Stumbo said...

Sending you big hugs. Sometimes life is overwhelming. I will pray that God brings someone into your life that can actually help you, even if it means letting you take a long nap while they hang out and help with the family, or bringing you a couple of freezer meals.

Lee said...

Sometimes the article is more easily written than lived. Keep plugging away. One day you will wake up and know that you have come through the tunnel and there is light, and joy!

Anonymous said...

Your blogs have always been amazing. There is narration to go along with beautiful pictures and videos.

For a refreshing time, could a Christian Convention be helpful? The children at their age group activities and the adults listening to the talks. There can often be professional volunteers to take care of additional needs as well. Some have all the meals cooked and some are priced by donation.

Might a timer be helpful on Minecraft? Only a certain amount of time each day, with maybe a bit more time on a Sunday.

Feel free to give me a list of things to do when out your way.(We might only be at that state for a little while this coming summer.)

Praying for you, from Fay.