Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankfulness Day 28: The Ashlea Edition

Little Ashlea hasn't yet had a turn at being the subject of my thankfulness.  Today I am thanking God for her - her life, her love, her awesomeness.




I am thanking God for:

- her very life - that we have had 7 1/2 years with her.  When she was born we didn't know if we would get 7 days or even 7 minutes.  What a blessing it is to have had 7 years.  Hopefully there will be many more to come;

- that Ashlea's journey has helped me not take for granted the gift of time with my children. The cold hard truth is that anything could happen to any one of us at any time.  We are fragile human beings.  We break.  We have far less control over our lives than we realise.  I am thankful that Ashlea has helped me see this clearly.  It's a scary reality to live with but I would rather have this insight and learn to number my days aright;

- her stubborn determination and outright bossiness that have helped her overcome many hurdles and achieve many so called 'impossible' milestones;

- her shower singing, constant chattering, Talking Tom loving cheeky sense of humour that enables her to have fun in nearly every situation;

- that she is thriving since her transplant -  healthy, growing, developing, progressing, advancing,blossoming, flourishing, THRIVING I tell you;

- that she has shown me that a person's worth is not measured in their achievements but in their humanity;

- that she has shown me that quality of life does not belong solely to those of able mind and body;

- for all the other amazing children and families we have met that we would not have otherwise met;

- for the way Ashlea by her very life demonstrates the gospel.  Ashlea is so dependant and trusting, she is one of the 'weak' thing of this world, one of the 'weak' things that God will use to shame the wise.  We who are able and 'strong' often forget our dependance on God;

- for the hope of heaven that is now ever present in my life.  Don't get me wrong - I love Ashela just as she is - but as a Christian I know that one day she will be in heaven with her new and perfect resurrection body.  Can you imagine that day?  Imagine seeing her on that day - seeing her as she realises she has been transformed and is no longer subject to the limitations of her earthly body.  I long for that day when all who believe will be clothed in glory and no longer subject to the suffering of this world.  O glorious day!  Come Lord Jesus!


1 Day

1 month corrected

1 year

2 years - finally some head control

3 years - able to W sit

4 years - upright in a special walker

5 years - WOW - what happened in that year!?

6 years - and a gift from Dad


A brave recovery

A Delightful Big Girl

6 comments:

Julie C said...

Day 28 - Today I am thankful for Christmas! The freedom to read and share the truth of Gods Word and the story of Jesus' birth; Colin Buchanan, Hi 5, and more cds of songs and carols; books with Santa, reindeer, kangaroos, Holden Utes and of course baby Jesus; a life size reindeer that I found in some ones clean up and am repainting for the kids; family, friends, love, peace, hope, joy,,(I can of course think of a zillion more things but need to keep this brief). JC ps Al Is Amazing Ashlea the essence of your blog?

Alison said...

Yes the blog is mostly about Ashlea - but I thought it only fair she have a turn on her own. Although the twins did get an extra turn for world prematurity day! Maybe Emma needs another turn?

The Trousdell Five said...

This made me cry for a million (good) reasons :)

Bethe77 said...

What a beauty May the lord continue to strengthen her and what a joy to see how far the Lord has brought What a wonderful thankful. Happy Thanksgiving! Blessings to you and your beautiful family.

Alicia - OneMotherHen said...

Beautiful. Thankyou for letting her have her turn, so I can see how awesome she is too.

Deb said...

Yep. Your whole family's story makes me think of the gospel each time I reflect on it. And that makes me thankful to Him who is always worthy of praise. And glad that you are kind enough to share bits of it with us because by doing so you've encouraged me heaps in my faith.