Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Photo A Day: Jan 1

Excuse the green eyebrows - fire breathing dragon
does not wash off easily

Today marks the beginning of a new challenge - to find 1000 things to be thankful for over the course of 2014.  I find it incredibly good for my mental health to focus on the things I have to be thankful for.  Positive thinking has never really cut it for me - it seems too airy-fairy for my concrete style of thinking.  Thankfulness is far more concrete as it reminds me of actual real things I can be thankful for.

It goes without saying that the one I am thankful to is God - the giver of all things. 

Rather than kicking of with something big and momentous I am going to start with something rather mundane.  Although if you knew the number of apples Emma eats you would realise this is a bigger deal than it sounds.

Here we go - 1000 Things To Be Thankful For:

1.  Today Emma has decided that she CAN actually eat apples with the skin on thus relieving me of the task of constantly peeling and cutting them up for her.

2.  I have had a reasonable start implementing some new things with the girls today.  I'm not calling the changes resolutions or saying them out loud otherwise they will be doomed to fail, but at least I've made a start (although I am about to try and make them do some reading - you may need to wish me luck with that).

3.  For the luxury of time to sit and read a book - I call it a luxury even if the kids don't.  I probably should add that after reading Call The Midwife I am also very thankful to have given birth to all my children in the 21st Century with all it's modern, life saving technology!


2 Thess 5: 16-18
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

PS If anyone's game to join me in the challenge just leave a comment :) 

8 comments:

Sylvia said...

Happy new year to you and your lovely family! I think I'll join you in finding at least one thing to be thankful for everyday! Today's thing is that my husband didn't freak out(too much) when Bethany had to trace every letter on several candy packages while out grocery shopping! Love the painted faces! Your oldest is so much like my Jeremiah I wish they could meet each other! I bet they'd be great friends. They both love Minecraft and Pokemon. What else is there?

Alison said...

Thanks for joining my Sylvia. It does sound like our two would get on like a house on fire!

raine said...

I've been motivated by your post to write down every evening one thing to be thankful for from that day. It won't match your 1000 but 365 giving thanks shouldn't be too bad!

Heda said...

Best wishes for a joyous and thankful New Year. Great painted faces esp the fire breathing dragon. I'd like to join you in giving this challenge a shot even though a couple of days behind.
My thankfuls for New Years Day are:
1) 2014 is the last year of my work contract and I won't be renewing so the countdown has started
2) An enjoyable and restful Christmas holiday break
3) New Year's greetings from family and friends
My thankfuls for yesterday are:
1) Getting a last minute drs appointment
2) Fast acting antibiotics
3) A drs certificate for yesterday and today that will effectively add 4 days to my Christmas break.

Alicia - OneMotherHen said...

Good luck with the reading :) I am peeling apples for one of mine, otherwise I find the skin spat out all over the floor xx

Samantha said...

Hi. I love your thankfulness goal for 2014. Today I am thankful for daisy chain necklaces and crowns, little boys who shorten the daisy train into a wrist band with fire and water super powers attached to each flower, and for the summery sound of cicadas.

Samantha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison said...

Thanks for joining in Raine. I think any amount of thankfulness is a good thing!

Lovely to have you joining me again Heda. Wow your last year at work??? That is huge!

Oh dear Alicia. I must admit now that Emma eats apples whole I keep finding the little stickers from them stuck all over the house :/

The cicadas seem so loud this summer Samantha. I don't remember having heard them as much over the last couple of summers.