Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March 5 Thankfulness for a friend




One of the things I love about being a mum is getting to meet other mums.  I could talk the legs of a chair so I regularly get chatting with other parents in all sorts of settings - swimming lessons, therapy appointments, the school gate - anywhere really.

Today I am thanking God for one particular mum I have had the privilege of knowing - my friend Mel. We met while watching our kids learn to swim yet we were more than just 'swimming mums'. You see Mel was also a transplant recipient - so while the other mums would discuss swimming and school and whatever 'typical' mums talk about we would talk transplants - hers and Ashlea's.

Today I am thanking God for the 10 years of life that her heart transplant gave her.

I am thanking God for the donor family who selflessly gave her and her family that gift.

I am thanking God that I got the chance to get to know Mel and her daughter.

I am utterly shocked and saddened though that after 10 years her body has rejected the heart and now she is gone.

Even though we were 'only swimming lesson friends' I am still so sad.  The transplant connection is a strong one.  Not only am I sad that my friend is gone, I am sad to have been reminded that transplant is only ever a treatment for organ failure, not a cure.

I am so thankful for the gift of life that organ transplants provide, but I am far more thankful that I know Jesus who provides THE gift of life - eternal life.  I am thankful that I know that no matter what happens in this life one day I will spend eternity with Him and that will make up for all the heart ache in the here and now.

Col 3:17 
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saddened to read your post.
Praying for your family. From Fay.