Sunday, March 30, 2014

Thankfulness Mar 30 Happy Kidney-Versary Ashlea!

Yesterday was Ashlea's 2 year kidney-versary.  We didn't make a huge fuss about it as it was also Emma's party but we definitely acknowledged the occasion and stopped to reflect on how well Ashlea is doing now that she has her new kidney.  The only word I can use to describe her is thriving.  She is absolutely thriving in all areas of her life.  Ashlea did try to convince me that if it was the kidney's birthday then maybe the kidney needed a present...  Good try but not gonna happen!

For the last two years I have taken photos of the girls to commemorate the occasion so I tortured them once again by making them sit for another set of photos.  I want to do this for as long as they'll let me as a way of documenting how far we've come.

28th March 2012

28th march 2013

29th March 2014
Older and wiser... How long do we have to sit here Mum?

I don't generally spend a lot of time reflecting on the actual day of Ashlea's transplant even though every day I give thanks for how well she is doing as a result of it.  The only bits that catch in my throat when I think about them now are when I remember her being called down for surgery - anyone whose child has had major life altering surgery will be able to relate to that - and then again when I remember the surgeon coming out and telling me the words I had waited 5 years to hear - the kidney is in and it's making wee.  I'm still disappointed that I didn't get to enjoy that moment for awhile longer and that now I can't celebrate Ashlea's transplant without being reminded of Murray's brain injury (that anniversary is tomorrow).  Today though we shall celebrate the kidney and the life and vitality it has brought to Ashlea.

3 Gorgeous Girls


Today I am thanking God for:

279.  Ashlea's successful kidney transplant;

280.   The medical team who were involved and still are involved in keeping her as healthy as possible;

281.  The life and vitality that is hers as a result;

282.  Murray's willingness to give her one of his kidneys;

283.  And seeing as life goes on regardless of anniversaries I am also thankful that my Sunday jobs are taken care of - groceries done, lunches made, laundry put away, hedges trimmed by the neighbour; cupcakes made for Emma to take to school tomorrow and birthday presents wrapped.


Col 3:15
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.



4 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Beautiful pics. No doubt such a bittersweet day/two days xx glad you can reflect today on the amazing growth in all areas for Ashlea xx

Alison said...

Thanks Bron - mostly we just reflect on how well Ashlea is doing now as it is just so obvious!

Alicia - OneMotherHen said...

The life it has brought Ashlea is obvious in the photos. They are beautiful girls Alison, you should be so proud of the wonderful job you are doing. xx

Katelyn said...

Yeah! That's so great!