Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Thankfulness Jul 9

Today I am thanking God for:

We have all these toys to do with toileting...between the toys telling me
they've wet their pants and Ashlea having no success I may be
losing my marbles...

624.  A quiet morning at home to practise our toilet timing;

625.  An excuse to go to the shops and abandon the toilet timing for awhile;

626.  A fun afternoon of dressing up for Audrey and her friends.




Anyone got any advice on toilet training / toilet timing a child with a disability?  We are part of a study where I have to take Ashlea to the toilet every 90 minutes.  Whenever I take her she is already wet and then does nothing on the toilet.  I'm thinking I need to take her more frequently - every 30 minutes probably - I'm just not sure I have the patience for that.  All suggestions welcome!


2 Corinthians 9:15
Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

5 comments:

Heda said...

Speaking with absolute ignorance from the perspective of someone without children of any shape or form. Wondering if the nappies are too effective? She never feels wet. She's a bright little cookie with a strong sense of herself. She might just be too comfortable? And then again I could be totally wrong. :-)))

Alison said...

No that's actually a good idea Heda. I did put her in less absorbent nappies today but they still do the job too well. Maybe when the weather is warmer I will try just putting her in undies to see if she gets the idea.

Caroline said...

I've never had any success toilet training without taking the nappies off first, but I agree it's not the right time of year for that. I don't know if this idea's completely ridiculous or not, but what about putting pants on under the nappy? That way she would feel wet, without it making so much mess and washing.

Anonymous said...

This idea might be helpful. It might be helpful to use a bedwetting machine in the day to let Ashlea know when she starts to wee by an alarm sounding. Ashlea might be able to make her way to the toilet when the alarm sounds. Additionally it might help train the brain to be more aware of when wee is coming.

Here are two You Tube titles. One clip shows the machine usage. The other clip describes the brain connection that needs to be trained into the body to help stop night wetting. Yes it is for night wetting but surely the application might be helpful (even very helpful) for Ashlea learning to toilet train in the day.

You Tube Addresses:

Bedwetting Store: DRI Eclipse Wireless Bedwetting Alarm
(It runs for 0:38)

DRI Sleeper-The Bed Wetting Solution
(It runs for 4:23)


We have found these products very helpful for their night application. First I hired one from a medical supply store and then I bought it because we were using it for two children.

My family would like me to be anonymous on this blog entry.

I hope all goes well.

Alicia - OneMotherHen said...

Good luck with it xx
I am just about ready to train my two year old, with no disability and I am not looking forward to it.